Monday, July 19, 2010

Hard Things

Sometimes, we have to do hard things. Today,
<-- this little woman and myself did a beastly work out. On the way home, I thought, 'wow, I feel like jell-o'. And for some reason, that made me remember the conversation we had last night about how my father needs to exercise.

Now this father of mine, as most of you know, is still pretty weak because of his illness. Yes, that illness. The three month long ride of terror. That was a hard thing. -Here's something you should know about this man: If you ask him to help mow the lawn, he plants trees (or manages the planting of trees...). If you ask for some help on the computer, he just might build you a website. If you can make him get up and do something, he'll most likely get carried away. So of course when he got sick, he didn't get the flu, or the common cold; he had to take it to the extreme like everything else. He's such a Holman.

The point is, Dad needed to do a hard thing and go on a walk. When I got home, I caught him trying to go back to bed. The next 15 - 30 minutes was spent trying to find his shoes and repeating his doctor's words to him. "You need to exercise. No more sitting at the computer all day. Don't make me call your mother." -Ok so maybe the doctor only pulled the 'mother' card when she happened to be in the room, but all the same..

Finally, he got up, and instead of going on a walk, we found ourselves on a hike. And you thought I wasn't serious about his getting carried away...

We made it this far.

Then, since we both felt like jello, we decided to celebrate our progress
with a little of this.


and maybe a little of this.


There's only one thing that could be harder than making my father exercise today.

Getting him to go tomorrow. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHAHHAHAHA.
    Go ALEX GO!
    and GO DAD GO!
    good for you guys takin a little hike-y. i'll hike with you n ext time. call me!

    ReplyDelete